HOME

THE FLEMING MANSION
History and Preservation Efforts



The Historic Fleming Mansion
GFWC Woman's Club of Fairmont

In an old and fashionable neighborhood of Fairmont, the Thomas W. Fleming House commands a panoramic view of the Monongahela River and East Fairmont. [see below]. The design is a combination of the American Neo-Classical Revival and early 20th C motifs that define Beaux Arts Classicism. Entrance to the mansion is from a semi-circular driveway and glass solarium. The interior is reached through an ornate vestibule whose doorway is surmounted with a leaded fanlight and flanked by leaded sidelights filled with beveled glass.

The mansion itself has been the headquarters of the General Federation of Women's Clubs' WCF clubhouse since 1938, and the Woman's Club has worked diligently to preserve this important historic 1901 structure. In addition to the considerable number of furniture pieces original to the mansion, plasterwork, wainscoting, stained glass and lighting fixtures have been preserved as well. The only major alteration occurred during the Club's early occupancy when a wall separating the Grand Hall and music room from the hallway was removed to provide ample space for meetings. A stained glass window in the stair landing, a leaded glass front door panel and the original slate roof have been replaced.

>Please click on an image below for an enlargement<

Panoramic View of East Side
Vestibule Doorway
Stairwell Stained Glass
 Inglenook Vintage Light Fixtures Slate Roof

web design by Mountain Mama Studio • ©2013 Woman's Club of Fairmont, WV